Friday, October 13, 2017

A Fun Way To Celebrate Life ... BE CREATIVE


A FUN WAY TO CELEBRATE LIFE


“You can’t use up CREATIVITY, the more you use, the more you have.”   ~Maya Angelou~

   Being Creative can mean something different for each of us.  Most people associate creativity with the arts but it’s so much more.
   The moment you wake up you create your day.  When you go to work, you constantly create – making decisions, setting up meetings, writing status reports, etc.  When making dinner, you create a meal.
  Being Creative is what you do every moment of every day.  The question is:  How do you see yourself Being Creative?
   My own journey started at five years old when my parents enrolled me into an art class.  They were told I had ‘potential.’  I loved getting lost in the process, slipping into an alternate world, unaware of time and place.
   My Mom and I watched a craft show on TV every day, it was kind of a ritual.  Watching the expert take pieces of different materials, cutting shapes, gluing, learning new techniques, as we created fun things to decorate our home or give as gifts.  It fascinated me how you could create something out of a pile of “stuff.”  I was able to make really cool, fun gifts for my family out of scraps (at that age money was not an option).

   Between the fascination of watching others create and my own experiences, by the age of nine I was obsessed with BEING CREATIVE!  I had an endless stream of ideas I wanted to make happen.  People talk about “getting inspired,” or needing to be in the right mood in order to Be Creative so I wanted to know how to get to that place whenever I wanted instead of waiting for the mood to strike.  I spent that summer, going to the library at least once a week or more in the pursuit of understanding and harnessing that creative energy.  I know, weird for a nine year old but I was motivated to discover the secret.   I was surprised to learn there were no books on creativity only craft and how to books.  So I decided I should study how the brain functions and how it processes creativity then I could be creative all day.  The books were, of course, adult level and difficult to comprehend but I scanned through book after book, checked the back index and nowhere was the word CREATIVE ever present.
   Undeterred by my ineffective pursuit of the secret behind the creative process and wanting to help children with muscular dystrophy (Jerry’s Kid’s), I planned a fair to raise money for that charity.  I designed all the games, physically made them, found businesses to donate prizes, advertised the event and encouraged the neighborhood kids to volunteer to help with the games. 
   By the time I entered fourth grade, I was unstoppable.  I wrote a play, conducted casting calls and rehearsals, directed the play and yes even starred in it.  Everyone wanted to be in my plays.  I continued my art classes, performed in numerous dance recitals and shows, joined a classic literature book club, and obtained a sash full of Girl Scout merit badges.  That year was amazing. 
   What made it even more special was that the following year was the complete opposite.  Fifth grade was a major turning point in my life affecting me to this day.  I became self-conscious, doubted myself, felt “different,” not understood, was told ‘no’ a lot, you can’t make a living being creative, and that pesky little voice in my head telling me I’m not good enough, turned me into a quiet, introverted, scared kid.  After that I questioned my abilities, who was I to think I could do {fill in the blank}.  I pursued my creative endeavors behind closed doors for fear of rejection and ridicule. 
   All I ever wanted to do my whole life was wake up every morning spending each day being constructively creative in a way that would make a difference in the world as well as inspire others to do the same.  What a wonderful life that would be.
  As I grew up, I succumbed to the pressure of finding a “real job” and being practical.  It took a lot of time and soul searching until I came to the realization that I was being creative with every thought and action.  I have an extensive library of books now about the creative process, still curious but also much better informed.  I never stopped pursuing my creative dreams, evolving from knowledge, understanding, experience and wisdom.  I’m grateful I never lost my passion for connecting to my creative spark. 
   Now I wake up every morning and I’m creative all day, my business is all about the creative process and inspiring others to pursue their creative/life goals, dreams and passions in an environment that promotes support and lets you know, you are not alone in your desire to BE CREATIVE – in your own uniquely YOU way.
   So again, I ask you, how are you BEING CREATIVE?



No comments:

Post a Comment